As flooding becomes increasingly common across Europe, it’s important to know how to drive when roads are waterlogged.
Here are five simple ways to stay safe:
1. Less than an eggcup of water sucked into an engine may wreck it. Don’t attempt to drive through water across the road.
2. If you find yourself in floodwater and your engine cuts out, don’t try to restart it. It can cause additional damage. Call for assistance instead.
3. Aquaplaning is when tyres lose contact with the road. To prevent, hold the steering wheel lightly and lift off the accelerator until the car slows down and the tyres grip again.
4. Needless to say, keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front is all the more important in wet conditions.
5. Always test your brakes after leaving floodwater with a gentle push on the pedal at low speed.
Photo source: telegraph.co.uk